||The history of the West Bali National Park dates from 24 March 1911, when a German biologist, Dr. Baron Stressman, landed in the vicinity of Singaraja because the Maluku II Expedition ship that was aboard was damaged.
Baron Stressman lived in this region for 3 months. Through unintentional research, he found a rare endemic bird species, the Bali leucopsar rothschildi in Bubunan Village, about 50 km from Singaraja.
Further research was conducted by Dr. Baron Viktor von Plesen, who concluded that the Jalak Bali deployment only covers Bubunan Village up to Gilimanuk, which is an area of + 320 km2.
Because the population of Bali starlings when it is fairly rare, then in 1928, 5 starlings bali brought to England and successfully breed in 1931. Then in 1962, Sandiego Zoo in the United States is also rumored to have been breeding this bird.
In addition to bali starlings, other rare animals that live in this national park is a Bali tiger.
To protect these endangered animals, the Council of Kings in Bali issued Decree No. E / I / 4/5/47 dated August 13, 1947 which establishes the area of Banyuwedang Forest with an area of 19,365.6 ha as Natural Protected Garden (Natuur Park) whose status is similar to wildlife reserve.
After Indonesia’s independence, through the Decree of the Minister of Agriculture no. 169 / Kpts / Um / 3/1978 dated March 10, 1978, the area consisting of West Bali Wildlife Sanctuary, Menjangan Island, Bird Island, Kalong Island and Gadung Island was designated as West Bali Nature Reserve with a total area of 19,558.8 ha.
In 1984, West Bali Nature Reserve was designated as West Bali National Park with an area of 19,558.8 ha.
However, since some of these national parks (3,979.91 ha) are restricted production forest areas, which are under the authority of the Forestry Service, through the Decree of the Minister of Forestry no. 493 / Kpts-II / 1995 dated 15 September 1995, and the national park area became 19,002.89 ha, consisting of 15,587.89 ha of land area and 3,415 ha of water area.
West Bali National Park consists of various forest and savanna habitats. In the middle of this park is dominated by the remains of four volcanoes from the Pleistocene, with Patas mountain as the highest point in this place.