||Tesso Nilo National Park is a national park located in Riau province, Indonesia. This national park was inaugurated on July 19, 2004 and has an area of 38,576 hectares.
The area that belongs to this national park is the area of the former Forest Concession (HPH) located in Pelalawan and Indragiri Hulu Regencies. Up to now there are still concessions in the surrounding areas.
With Decree of the Minister of Forestry No: 255 / Menhut-II / 2004 dated July 19, 2004, part of Tesso Nilo Forest Block is ± 38,576 Ha upgraded to conservation area, namely National Park.
The Tesso Nilo forest area, formerly known as the Langgam forest area, was originally designated as Limited Production Forest to meet the needs of industrial raw materials and other wood products.
However, along with the loss of forest, new problems arise. In 1980 elephant problems began to arise due to the opening of Tesso Nilo forest for transmigration settlements. Since then the elephants always come to the village and destroy the community plant land.
In 1983, a single female elephant was found dead in the Segati – Langgam area. In 1984, elephant disruption in Riau Province increased, so the government reserve the elephant habitat, one of them is Tesso Nilo. The provision of elephant habitat in Tesso Nilo forest by State Minister of the Environment (Dr. Emil Salim) is ultimately unrealized.
In 1992 the Regional Office of the Department of Forestry of Riau Province conducted a Survey of Regional Plans for the Displacement of Elephant Animals and Other Wildlife in part of Tesso Nilo forest. Then the Minister of Forestry proposed the same thing, but no realization.
On April 30, 2001, the Governor of Riau re-proposed the Tesso Nilo area of ± 153,000 hectares as the Elephant Conservation Area. The proposed Tesso Nilo conservation area has received support from the District, Provincial and DPRD Governments, among others:
- Regent of Pelalawan with letter no. 050 / EK / IV / 2001, dated 7 April 2001 (revoked by letter No. 661 / Bappeda / 488, April 2001).
- Kampar Regent with letter no. 500 / EK / IV / 2001, dated April 7, 2001.
- DPRD of Kuantan Singingi Regency with letter No: 66 / DPRD-KS / 170/2001, dated 5 April 2001.
- Kampar Regency DPRD with letter no. 170/124 / DPRD / 2001, dated 7 April 2001.
- DPRD of Pelalawan Regency with letter no. 66 / DPRD / IV / 2001, dated April 16, 2001.
- DPRD Riau Province with letter no. 446 / 2001-4 / UM / 246, dated April 16, 2001.
- Head of Planology Agency of the Ministry of Forestry through letter no. 650 / VII-Set / 2001, dated September 17, 2001
- in principle supports the steps taken by the Governor of Riau.
Therefore a meeting was held between the Directorate General of PHKA, the Forestry Planning Board, the Provincial Government, the Provincial Forestry Office and the Natural Resources Conservation Center of Riau Province.